Monday, December 3, 2012

Hanukkah Music Playlist (the top 10..)


When I was directing Playing Dreidel with Judah Maccabee, I wanted to come up with some fun pre- and post-show music, and I was confronted with an age old problem: good Hanukkah music.  After searching far and wide, I was pretty proud of what I discovered.  Some are originals, some are reinterpretations of classics.  I've linked to YouTube when there's a good video, to Amazon when there's not.

Here are my top contenders, in no particular order.  Turns out, they add up to 10...

Sevivon, Sov, Sov, Sov (mixed with swing-era Swing, Swing, Swing, interpreted by Kenny Ellis)

Swingin' Dreidel (Kenny Ellis reinterprets Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel this time)

Hanuka's Flame (by Woody Guthrie,  interpreted by the Klezmatics)

I am a Latke (Debbie Friedman)

Nun, Gimel, Hey Shin (Debbie Friedman--sadly, find no good link for this)

Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah (interpreted by the Gbar Girls)

Ocho Kandelikas (Many good interpretations of this, but for the show I used The Maxwell Street Band)

Ocho Kandelikas (I didn't use Florry Jagoda's version, but like it)

How do you Spell Channukkahh (The LeVees)

Applesauce vs. Sour Cream (The LeVees)

No comments: